The congregation of St. Michael's Lutheran Church was organized in 1814 through the efforts of its first pastor, the Rev. Godfrey Dreher, and members of Bethel and Zion (German origin) Churches.
St. Michael's was admitted into membership of the N.C. Synod on October 1, 1814. Later wen the S.C. Synod was organized at St. Michael's on january 14, 1824, S. Michael's identified herself with the S.C. Synod.
Mr. John Dreher donated six acres of land to the church for its buildings. Three have been erected for church worship. The first was the one-room schoolhouse; the second, located about ten yards south of the present church, was styled after the reformed influence. The ceiling of this building was painted blue. This fact explains why St. Michael's is often yet called the Old Blue Church. The third building of worship, the present building, was constructed in 1921.
NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D3000, f/13 @ 30 mm, 0.8s, ISO 100, No Flash
Copyright 2010 Douglas A. Greenwald, all rights reserved.